What is it?
As its name suggests, remarketing consists in remarketing or retargeting your customers. In e-commerce, a remarketing campaign is basically an online advertising campaign that will target Internet users who have already visited your online ordering site to show them an ad which you will have created beforehand. Ads can be banners or text announcements displayed on the Google search engine results page, for example.
How does it work?
On the Internet, you can place cookies or tracking tags on each page of your e-commerce site to track visitors and analyze their online behaviour. This will allow you to glean precious data concerning your visitors, such as:
- how they connected (PC, smartphone, tablet),
- the number of pages they viewed,
- whether they abandoned their shopping basket,
- the items in which they took an interest,
- their other centres of interest, etc.
To set up cookies or tracking tags on your pages, we advise you to use Google Tag Manager and to turn to a Web Developer to help you with the configuration.
How can I use it?
You can then use this data to show highly targeted advertising announcements or promotions to these prospective customers concerning:
- products they like or have already ordered,
- items abandoned in their basket the last time they visited your site, etc.
These retargeted Internet users will subsequently be more likely to place an order, since you already know which products they are interested in. This tool is used extensively for online advertising since it serves to quickly and easily increase ROI from advertising, and generate qualified traffic on an e-commerce site.